• Share announcements widely using PTA, school and community communication channels. Be sure to include a deadline and drop off location, as well as, submission instructions.
• Introduce Reflections® to school and community partners using this Reflections flyer and poster
• Announce your Call for Entries using this themed poster (.pdf) and promotional video for students.
• Distribute the Student Entry Form, Rules and Instructions provided by Texas PTA:
- 2019-2020 Student Entry Form
- Official Rules
• Create your own promotions:
Arts in Education Tools
Arts category icons: dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography, visual arts, special artist.
The arts—and the National PTA Reflections® program—welcomes all grades and abilities to explore and be involved in the arts. Annually, thousands of students will reflect on a common theme and create original works of art in the categories of dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts.
The theme for the 2019-2020 program year is Look Within. Students submit their completed works of art in one or all of the available arts categories: Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, Visual Arts. If you have any questions or need assistance throughout the program year, please contact your council representative.
• Utilize the PTA Leader Checklist to organize tasks and schedule deadlines.
• Build your PTA Arts Committee with a Volunteer Sign-Up Sheet to help recruit volunteers with specific skills/interests.
• Recruit creative professionals to review student works. Engage school personnel and community members for additional support.
• Establish a timeline for your program. The deadline to submit student entries to council is November 8, 2019 at 3pm.
• Be sure to thank school staff, community partners, judges, and volunteers using this Thank-you Letter for Volunteers and evaluate your program to consider future improvements.
• Return non-advancing submissions to students.
Questions? Contact your council representative, Kimberly Green Barnett.
Step 2: Organize and Plan Your Program
Step 3: Reflections®
PTA Reflections® Program
• Check out the National PTA Reflections® Leader Training(on demand). Walk through a step-by-step process, gather tools and resources, and learn best practices for encouraging creativity in your school. approx. 30 min
• Confirm that your local PTA has attained Active Status with Texas PTA and is eligible to participate on your campus. You will also need to verify that your local PTA has attained Good Standing with Texas PTA in order to be eligible to participate at the state and national levels. You may need to ask your PTA President for assistance in verifying this information in PTAvenue.
• Make sure the Reflections program is included in your PTA's program budget for the school year.
• Network with your fellow PTA Reflections leaders and connect with your council representative on Facebook - join the CCCC Reflections Group.
• Start with the Reflections® Celebration Guide to help plan your event.
• Announce awardees to the whole school community.
• Promote your event and celebrate students in local media using this media advisory and press release.
• Present the Certificate of Recognition and other awards available at the Texas PTA Store.
• Use the Local PTA Advancing Spreadsheet form to advance up to 20% (or at least one entry) from each grade division and arts category. Email a copy to Kimberly Barnett and submit a paper copy with your advancing entries.
• First, check-in entries and review artwork. Qualify submissions according to program rules and address student ineligibility, as needed. Organize entries by Arts Category and Grade Division, then assign them to a judge. Use the Local Guidelines to assist you.
• Prepare submissions for Judges' review and provide the Reflections Reviewer's Packet to each judge. Judges will review artwork and judging information provided on the student's entry form.
• Collect judges scores and rank entries; Complete the Advancing Spreadsheet to prepare for the next level of judging.
• Assign awards to all qualifying entries. Award levels may include: Award of Excellence; Award of Merit; Honorable Mention; Participant.
Step 1: Getting Started
Step 4: Organize Artwork for Judging
Step 5: Celebrate and Recognize Your Participants
Step 6: Wrap It Up